Recently, Tom Fochtman, Ceibass CEO, attended the National Association of Landscape Professionals’ LANDSCAPES 2018 GIE + EXPO’s premier education and networking experience in Louisville, Kentucky.
“What a spectacular event, what a great town, what an exciting host hotel. Get this event on your calendar for 2019!” said Tom Fochtman. “The educational events were on-target for lawn & landscape business owners, especially the P&L & Balance sheet formats from green industry management consultant Jim Huston. Superb displays of industry products and equipment, and the networking opportunities abundant.”
Further insights from Tom on the event include:
- Everybody at the event is super upbeat. All making money. Record years, exceeding 2017’s record year. It’s that type of economy. For now.
- They are also very aware that things are starting to slow. All the economic indicators point that direction. Get it while you can.
- Immigration reform and ultimately the lack of labor is the #1 challenge. Most (not all) contractors could make more money if they had the labor.
- There is strong talk that we finally get some reform with H2B and we will know that before/no later than 12/31.
- On the M&A side, Buyers have actually pulled back a bit on companies that use H2B as they do not want the turmoil of replacing what is usually 50% of a workforce. For those that use H2B, it is frequently up to 50% of their total field force.
- Buyers are still in the market but are sitting back a bit to see what happens at the end of the 4th quarter.
- Very upbeat though, for the most part. Slowdown, yes. Recession, no.